Thursday 26 April 2012

Community

As part of the grade two curriculum, students are expected to gain a sense of community and their place within the world. To me this sounded like a complex concept for my students to grasp. I debated for a long time about how to best go about teaching such an important concept, in a way that would be easy to understand and fun for my kiddos!


I started off the unit by breaking down the idea of `community` into the concept of our school community, a place, feeling and group of people my students were all familiar with. We talked about rules and how rules keep members of our community safe, and why it is important to follow these rules. We came up with this hands on activity aimed at helping my students understand that they all play an important part in being an active member of the school community. Each student worked with a partner to trace each other`s hands. Then they came up with a school rule that they pledged to follow and copied it down on their hand, this is what we came up with!





No comments:

Post a Comment