Saturday 18 February 2012

Happy 100th Day of School


It’s hard to believe that it is already the middle of February, and I have been in my placement for more than 2 months. The way the practicum placements work with my University in Nova Scotia is that student teachers are placed in their cooperating schools for the first week of September. After an exciting and incredibly tempting week, they drag us back to University classes until December, and then we return to our placement classrooms, eager to dive back into teaching.  So I have been back in the classroom since the middle of December and the time has flown by!

It was recently the 100th Day of School, and the kids were getting pretty excited. Every day, after the helper of the day is chosen, we add another straw to the daily count (a great way to learn about place value with real world connections). On the 88th Day of School one of my students ran up to me to tell me there were only 12 more days until the ‘big move’. I was a little taken back, and slightly confused so I asked him what he meant by the ‘big move’.  He proceeded to tell me that on the 100th Day of School grade two was all over and that they were all moving over to the grade three classroom! After a quick giggle and a hint of sadness that he was so excited to leave grade two, I reminded him that the 100th Day of School did not mean the end of the school year, rather a day to celebrate being 100 days smarter!

Gotta Love Grade Two!

To celebrate the 100th Day of School, I decided to give my students a writing activity with a visual arts component. The writing piece was simple; When I am 100...I wanted my students to think about the number 100 and write about what they think their lives would be like at 100 years old. Their thoughts, ideas and aspirations for their future elderly selves were hilarious! Then they were asked to create a portrait of themselves at 100 years old; with glasses, wrinkles and grey hair to boot!



The kids thought their portraits were too funny, and they were so excited to share with one another. It was a great way to finish off our 100th Day of School Party.

How did you celebrate the 100th Day of School? 

No comments:

Post a Comment