Tuesday 7 May 2013

Under the Sea: Classroom Transformation

So although it has been a while since I last posted here, I am happy to announce that my lack of posts has not been due to lack of inspiration or creativity but to the sheer fact that although I absolutely love my new job- it is exhausting! So here I am trying to play a quick catch up!
A few weeks ago, I was asked to sub in the Kindergarten class for an extended period of time. Although I knew it would pull me away from my small groups and one-on-ones with students, I was excited to get back into the classroom; especially with this group of boys! They are wild but I love them! During the time I was teaching kindergarten, the theme changed from Space to Oceans. The French teacher I was working with had orchestrated an amazing activity to introduce the new theme to the boys using their five senses. With a bare classroom surrounding them, the boys moved from station to station (five in total) where they listened, touched, smelled, tasted and saw clues all hinting to the fact that their next learning theme would be Oceans. As they moved around the classroom and gathered their clues, they were thrilled when they finally figured it out!
As the boys left my class for the day, it was up to me to transform their classroom into an underwater, tropical retreat.  I am a huge fan of having children’s art work on display in the classroom, so instead of hanging up posters of dolphins and lobsters, I decided to get the kids involved in the decorating process! The next day, I had the students help me paint a very large piece of paper which I turned into an octopus for the class bulletin board. I also had the boys trace their hands to create our very own school of fish! With a little glitter and a lot of paint; this is what we created!


Creating and transforming bulletin boards is one of my favorite parts of being a teacher! What’s your creative outlet?

No comments:

Post a Comment